9.12.2009

A question for you

The other day I received an email from a woman who was extremely upset about the post about Bruno. She thought that we were horrible for leaving Bruno's friend behind and would have preferred to not have read that story. It has left a terrible mark on her that she can't seem to shake. Firstly, I would like to thank all of you because we did raise enough money to rescue Bruno's friend when we come across him again. Secondly, I think I explained it in that post but would like to reiterate how we actually do regret leaving his friend behind, but we made what was a split second decision in a situation where we were unsure who was watching, and whether we would get in trouble by a local or not. I would also like to reiterate that his friend was not the least bit upset that we took Bruno. He was just thrilled to be untied from Bruno. He did not even look back at us as we drove away. I write this blog to give readers a glimpse into what we do on a daily basis. Animal rescue is not always a pretty thing. Decisions have to be made on who to rescue. We encounter dozens of dogs on a daily basis. Unfortunately, we have to make our decisions on who we feel is the most in need and who we know we will be able to place in a foster home, since we do not have a shelter.

My question is, as the reader, how heavy do you want this blog to read. I write this blog for you, so I want it to be something that you will continue to read in order to relay to you what it is we do. However, I do not want to turn people away by talking about things that are too hard to read. I know what it is like to go to bed and have an image or a thought in my head and not be able to get rid of it. That is one of the reasons that I do not post the super graphic pictures of these dogs. I do not want to see that, so I am pretty sure that the readers of this blog do not. The last thing I want to do is offend you. We do have happy stories, and I try to post them too, but for whatever reason, I get all fired up with writing about the insane, sad and tragic. We are human, and we make mistakes. I have never thought about trying to hide those mistakes from you. My intentions with the blog are to share the real stuff with you, our blunders, mistakes and all. Please share with me your thoughts on what you think of my posts so far and if they are too difficult for you to read. I would genuinely love to hear your opinions. Thank you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amie, my guess is that the person doing the complaining is just that; a complainer. I seriously doubt this is a person who understands what it's like to go over there to ESL on a daily basis and to see and do what you do.

It's always the people that will not foster, will not donate, and will not volunteer that are the quickest to make negative comments. Ask Julia...she's dealt with a ton over the past five years.

My advice to the nasty letter-writer: "Stay off of the rescue blogs. If you are seeking a happy-ending site, look at the Humane Society's. They will tell you all of the good stories, and leave the number of pets euthanized out of it! GPG is not about flowering up pet rescue to get you to donate your hard-earned money, it's about showing people that our society sometimes sucks when it comes to caring for our animals. Gateway does the dirty work, and all of the volunteers work hard!"

I wonder if this same person spends her days writing emails to the various News stations, berating them for reporting sad stories? Jerks are everywhere...you just encountered one of them.

Amy P.

Anonymous said...

My first impression is if that person thought it was so horrible, then they should offer the money the organization needed to get the dog off the street or raise it or something. The blog specifically said how much money would be needed and when it was raised you all would rescue him too. Or at least, that is what I took from the blog.

I love coming here and reading the posts. I am a foster...I foster Bruno presently and since he was the most healthy of the two, if I were you, I would have rescued him first as he would be easiest to place, as you said! The other dog needed treatment, it was obvious....and although I love every dog the same, there was no way to bring that dog to a home, hence why the organization needed the money before moving forward with the poor little guy to get the medical attention he needed and deserved.

You all do a wonderful job and I commend you for all that you do and have to endure. I can't imagine how it made you all feel leaving that dog....and I can only try to relate to how you all felt when you actually got the donation and was able to provide him with the care that he needed before putting him into a foster home. As a foster, I appreciate that very much. I have two girls myself and would hate for anything to be passed to them from one of my fosters....keep up the great work....and please keep the stories coming!

Becky D.

Anonymous said...

I always read your blog and I appreciate knowing the truth about what you guys see over in East STL. It's difficult work, and the truth about what goes on over there isn't always pretty. No need to sugar coat anything if you ask me. Thank God for you and the work you do! Erin, Chris, Bruce & Martin

Anonymous said...

I think it is important for people to see what it is really like out there. It shows how desparate and in need these animals are. If she is unhappy about the situation she could always step up and help out. If she is willing to foster she could have taken Bruno's friend. They can't complain about a situation unless they are willing to help.

Anonymous said...

I believe your posts re: dog rescue in East St. Louis serve a very important purpose. A purpose, in fact, that goes beyond educating people about the dogs on the streets of East St. Louis and elsewhere.
Whereas it is always difficult to read about the tragic or sad circumstances related to animals (and humans, as well), does this mean that we should avoid these stories? Do we want to turn away from the truth? I think that by taking a look at the situation, we strengthen our humanity, our compassion, and we are better able to get on with the business of finding a way to remedy the problems we see, the tragedy that keeps us awake at night. I think that is just what you folks are doing. I know you edit for things that are too tough for those of us who don't do this all the time to handle. And - It can't be any less disturbing for you to encounter these horrors than it is for your readers. But - along with your exposure of these things, you also provide proof that one can do something, that in fact people are doing something. A dog here, a dog there, is saved, and that is a VERY, very big deal. As I said earlier - it extends beyond your rescue efforts with the dogs. The posts make people think... "What about suffering in general? What about the people who find themselves in such tragic circumstances, just a short way from where I live? What can I do to change things - just a little - for the better?"
That's why your posts are important - in general, they make us better humans.

Anonymous said...

Amie,

I think you'll find that all who reply are going to agree with the previous posters.

Rescue work is not pretty and too bad you had to mess up her glittery image.

We may not like it and it might be horrible but it is what it is. Please continue telling is like it is and keep up the good fight.

Leslie B.