3.11.2009

Something About Lester


Let me give you a little background. About a week and a half ago, it was a Friday morning, I received a phone call from North County Animal Control. Petey, a dog we had adopted out a little over a year ago had been seized in a drug raid. What? A drug raid? That is what I said, from a house in Wildwood of all things. I immediately went to get pictures of Petey so I could send out a plea for a foster. They would not let me take him that day, but no worries, I was able to go back and get him the following day, thanks to our wonderful resident lawyer, Jonathan Beck.

Meanwhile, I saw a Lester in his cage, so cute and excited. He reminded me of my dog Floyd. I told my husband, and his response was, well, looks like we have no choice but to rescue him. They would not let me take Lester the day I pulled Petey because there was no vet on staff and "those are the rules." But, they did show me Melvin, whom I said I would be back on Monday for, along with Lester. When I showed up on Monday, the vet said, "You can't take these dogs yet, they have to be held until Thursday." Mind you, this is about an hour drive both ways for me. I already had Hector, PJ had rescued ten more puppies on the street, so I took one of them, and we have Hooper because he was getting picked on at PJ's. Gateway is totally strapped for cash with all of the pups we pulled last week, so I told myself as I pulled into the parking lot of animal control, that I would not be taking Lester (whom I had not named yet). When I got in there, and saw him again, I just could not refuse. There is something about this dog that just makes me melt. He is the happiest guy. Loves life. Unfortunately, three days after I got him, he started vomiting. I rushed him to the emergency room in the middle of the night and spent four hours getting him admitted and taking care of paper work. He has been there since. The vet bills for just Lester's care alone are astronomical. We are talking around $1300. We don't even have that much in the bank account at this time. We are struggling. All we want to do is rescue more animals, but without the money to do so, our rescue is at a stand still. This rescue will not make it unless we have money to pay our vet bills. Not to bore you with the gory details, but just to give you an idea, on top of what we owe for Lester, our current outstanding vet expenses are $5000. All I can say, is please help. We really need you this time. Please be part of of what we are doing. You can have a piece of what we are doing if you just donate whatever you can. I can't tell you how important you are to us. Lester would have been put down had I not pulled him. Lester would like to thank you for saving him.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your husband is a gem for all of his support and taking in the foster kids.