12.08.2008

Baby Mama

A few weeks ago PJ contacted me asking if I might be able to find someone who would take a sweet pregnant dog off of the cold streets of East St. Louis. She was one of those dogs that tried to get on PJ's lap when she fed her and tried to take a ride home with her when she left. One of those dogs who knew that there was a better life for her and her last litter of pups that she will ever have to give birth to. I thought it was going to be difficult to find someone to take on the undertaking. I sent out the plea, thinking it was a long shot that anyone would step up to the plate. Lo and behold, Mia, a sweet and devoted foster did immediately. It was really just in time because Mazey, a.k.a. Baby Mama, Mia's new foster had her puppies last night, just five days after PJ pulled her off of the streets. She was one of the lucky dogs who got to have her puppies in a safe place on a warm blanket with the attention of a human just in case something went wrong. Nine Ten puppies to be exact. These pups as well as their Mama will stay with Mia until Christmas, and then the whole family needs to move on to a new foster home since Mia is traveling abroad for a while at that point. After about 6 weeks, we will need to find foster homes for all of the babies and the mom. We will then take them to the vet for their shots, spay and neuter them, hopefully train them a little bit, love them a lot and then off they will go to their new forever homes. I will be posting pictures as they grow and become cute little fuz balls. I personally have never experienced a dog birth. I am sure that it is nothing short of fantastic.
Doesn't she look tired? Had I been present, I am sure that she would have had to tell me to go away if she could talk. I personally think I would be a little annoying at a puppy birth. Although, I probably would have obsessed over the process and read a gazillion books and as much info online as I could find. I know, I know. It is not rocket science. I just obsess over things like this. And then, I probably would have passed out once the first one crowned. Have you ever experienced an animal birth? Was it scary? Fun? Gross? A miracle? Did the animal tell you to go away at any point or did you feel like she wanted you there?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So great that all is well! However, animal births are not fantastic. They happen all too often and don't always end in joy. Fortunately, Baby Mama and her pups seem to have pulled through!

Gateway Pet Guardians said...

Maybe fantastic was the wrong word. We would definitely prefer for all of the animals on the street to be spayed and neutered. Unfortunately, we do not have the funds to accomplish that yet. We are making a dent though.

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what GPG means by "fantastic" -- birth is a miracle, and amazing. So, when a dog is picked up that is super pregnant, and she has her pups, it isn't the situation that mama dog would've picked for herself, or we would have picked for her, but she is certainly glad to have a blanket, food and safety for her babies -- and it is a miracle. And then with the generosity of donors she gets spayed--and that is fantastic too!

On another note, why do all these homeless baby mamas have a zillion puppies??? Cruel luck? Remember Novalee? She had 14 or so puppies. It's just funny (weird funny, not "haha" funny).