12.16.2008

Old MR. Winter

My dogs love the snow. They go outside, tongues creating a path in the snow, chasing each other and sliding all over the place. When they become too cold, they are lucky and get to come back inside.

After the ice storm yesterday I rode with PJ to feed the dogs in East St. Louis. It is so hard to see them without any relief from the cold. Some of them had icicles stuck to their fur. I really try to be thick skinned about what I see while doing rescue work, because I am afraid it will be too much if I let it get to me too bad. When it snows, I just can't stop thinking about the dogs that are on the streets. They always look so cold. Especially the ones with short hair. That is why my husband and I decided we would take in one more dog for the winter. It gets a little tight here in our little house with two fosters, but there is that boxer out there that is probably so cold. That is why I rode with PJ yesterday; to rescue the boxer. He must have been hiding somewhere to stay warm though, because we could not find him.

If only we had a facility. We could help so many other dogs stay warm this winter. If you haven't donated yet, please consider doing so. We just want these dogs to have a warm place to stay, regular meals and some healthy human interaction. We are writing up a business plan tomorrow to present to the public. I have been asked by a few people what will happen once we raise enough for the down payment. We have several ideas to keep the facility open with steady, reliable income. We just need enough to get it started. I hate to sound like a broken record, begging for money all of the time, but it's for the animals. I know how much they mean to you, because you are reading this blog. Thank you for taking the time to be a part of what we are doing. It means so much to us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have any more news on Bomber? I can't stand to think he's out in the cold with his arthritis, who can i contact about him?

Gateway Pet Guardians said...

If you are interested in riding with PJ to go visit Bomber, she would be more than happy to have you. Name your day, and we will set it up. You can go meet Bomber and all of the sweet dogs on the street. Thank you so much for thinking of him.

Anonymous said...

Your pets are so lucky to have so kind owners like you.