12.29.2008

Duck, Duck....

Boy oh boy, did Duck give us the run for our money. Above is the picture of him today. Below, you will see the picture of him on the first day he was rescued. We found him wondering alone across a busy road in East St. Louis. PJ had never seen him before. He was skin and bones, completely beat up, I mean like bad beat up and the choke chain on his neck was tied, so we could not get it off. He had no hesitation to jump in the car with us. He laid on me, enjoying my scrubbins' all the way to the vet. The vet put him on antibiotics because his wounds were so bad. This poor 5 month old pup had been through a lot; most likely inflicted by humans and dogs alike.
Once he landed in his new foster home he was quite scared and aggressive, as you can see by the difference in the pictures. The lovely foster who helped this dog off of the streets decided, with her 13 year old, four pound, deaf toy poodle, that she would not be able to keep this one. He came to me the next day and was not very nice to my dogs either. I thought it was bad news for this guy. I was sure that the torture he had been through was too much for a dog that young to overcome. After crying for a bit and thinking I was going to have to make the decision that I don't ever want to have to make, I decided to take him for a run. We ran for a long time, through alley ways with dogs charging the fence. We slowed and walked through those areas to see how he would react. He stayed right by my side without any sort of nervousness or aggression. Maybe I was wrong? Why did I jump to the conclusion that this dog did not deserve a chance? Now, after a week of keeping him in a large crate near all of the other dogs in our house and brief, surveillanced interactions, today he was able to play all day in the yard with the other dogs. Duck was actually the one I was worried about getting hurt.
He is such a sweet boy. It just goes to show that you can't judge a dog by its initial reaction when he comes from an unknown situation. Dogs & Ducks deserve the chance to show how much love they are capable of giving, even after a life of torture. This one is a keeper and is going to give someone a lifetime of love and entertainment, because he is funny too. How could he not be with a name like Duck.

No comments: