12.04.2008

Marley & Me!

Have you ever had the worst dog in the world. I know I have. My first dog when I was 16, was given to me by my first boyfriend. His name was Bailey. My parents forbade me to get a dog. I used to pray for a dog every night before I went to bed. For Christmas that is all I would ask for. My mom was so happy when I stopped believing at such a young age so that she could just tell me no. When I brought Bailey home, my ma climbed up on her chair and yelled, "What the *#$^& is that!", over and over again. Bailey was the cutest puppy though. He was so little and followed her around, grabbing onto her pant leg. I saw her smile at him, and I knew I had her. Then Bailey started to grow and become destructive and crazy. I am not sure that I can put into words how crazy this dog was. If you watch the preview for Marley & Me, you will get some understanding. He did most of the things in the preview, plus some. He ate countless remotes, hundred dollar bills, thousand dollar checks. We had to replace all of the doors in the house because he would chew and scratch on them. He would bark incessantly at me until I picked up the ball and threw it. In the car, going through a drive thru, Bailey would jump behind me in the driver's seat and try to get to the person in the window. Not because he wanted to hurt them, but because, well, why wouldn't they want him there.

The preview for this movie Marley & Me awakened all of these memories of Bailey. After Bailey passed away, I was pretty lost. I had been through college, several boyfriends, and the ups and downs of life with Bailey by my side. It wasn't just Amie, it was Amie & Bailey. He went every where with me. His passing is kind of what thrust me into dog rescue. Always trying to fill that void, I suppose. I would love to hear your stories about your crazy dogs.

After viewing the previews for this movie, and getting over my reminiscing of Bailey, I got an idea for our rescue. I wrote a letter to AMC Theatres requesting that they work with us to donate some of the proceeds from the viewing of Marley & Me at the AMC West Olive Theatre. It would help us toward our goal of purchasing a shelter for all of the homeless dogs. Please leave a comment on this entry, and let AMC know that you will go see Marley & Me at the West Olive theatre if they donate some of the proceeds to Gateway Pet Guardians. You don't have to leave much, just say, "I will go see Marley and me at AMC!", or whatever you would like. Thanks for all of your support and I hope everyone has a great Thursday.

6 comments:

steve9000 said...

I think that the movie idea is great! I will definitely go see Marley & Me at AMC West Olive if they will donate a portion of the proceeds to Gateway Pet Guardians.

Julia said...

Richie and I will go as well - alllll the way out to West County if they donate!

Gateway Pet Guardians said...

see, it's totally worth the trip. and they have stadium seating, and fold up arm rests!

Anonymous said...

Eric and I will go too--and round up friends to go. It would be so great if they'll do that!

KTFraser said...

We would love to see Marley & Me at the AMC. That would be very generous for them to contribute to such a wonderful cause. Thank you for all that you do!!!!

Anonymous said...

I would get a group of friends together to go to see this movie @ AMC West Olive if AMC would donate a portion of the proceeds to GPG..

What a great idea- Any updates on this? (I'm a little late in reading this post)